Pros and Cons of The GOLO Diet. Is it Safe?
“Coach Michaela, is this program “Keto”? Coach Michaela, I do Atkins, can I follow your program while doing Atkins”? My clients come to the table (no pun intended), asking many questions about the various diets on the market. Because these diets are heavily marketed, they become buzz words to the consumer. However, my question is always, “Have you researched what this diet is and who it’s meant for”?
Many diets come and go just like fashion fads and makeup trends. The important thing to remember is when you are dealing with your health, trying the latest diet trend can have risks. Just like with everything else, I always like to do research on the hottest diet trends out there so I can give my clients as much advice as I can. Education is the key to longevity especially when it comes to making any major dietary changes.
Keeping this in mind, today we are going to do a review of The GOLO Diet. The GOLO Diet has become more popular over the last few years. It is a diet plan that claims to help you to lose weight through insulin management. This is claimed to help restore your hormonal balance and repair your metabolism.
To lose weight on the GOLO Diet you will need to:
- Reduce your calorie intake to a daily figure between 1,300 and 1,800.
- Exercise for at least 15 minutes of HIT (high-intensity training) daily.
- Use the GOLO Release supplement. This is a supplement that contains proven ingredients that include magnesium, zinc, and chromium amongst others. This supplement is free of gluten and all major allergens.
Remember, speak to your doctor before trying any new supplement or medication.
With this diet plan you should be eating whole foods, so processed and refined foods should be avoided. You should also avoid foods that contain added sugars and sweeteners.
The four “fuel groups” of the GOLO Diet are:
- Protein sources, including lean meat, poultry, seafood, dairy products, nuts and eggs. Pork is acceptable but avoid pork sausage if it contains added ingredients.
- Carbohydrates, including whole grains, beans, fruit and starchy vegetables.
- Fats, including those with healthy fats, such as seeds like chia, hemp and flax. Use oils like olive and coconut oil.
- Vegetables, to include green vegetables like broccoli and zucchini.
Aim to eat three balanced meals daily, with each meal containing at least one portion from each of the “fuel groups.” One capsule of the release supplement should be taken either during or after each meal.
Pros Of The GOLO Diet
These are some pros to the GOLO diet:
- You will be eating whole foods. These foods are nutrient-dense, so are low in calories but packed with vital vitamins and minerals.
- This diet encourages exercise. Exercise is an important aspect of any diet plan.
- Weight loss is likely. The science behind this diet plan is sound. If you cut your current calorie intake and undertake regular exercise, then you are going to naturally create a calorie deficit and lose weight.
- Flexibility. The diet can be modified to fit special dietary needs or preferences.
Cons of the GOLO Diet
Cons of the GOLO diet include:
- Lack of proof. While there are user testimonials available onsite these may not be unbiased. To prove the effectiveness of a diet plan then you will need to look for a peer-reviewed study. Unfortunately, this is not available.
- Expensive. The monthly price for this diet plan is $50. The majority of this cost is to pay for the supplement, which may not even be needed.
- The information provided may be confusing. This diet plan is not as simple as you would hope and sometimes uses confusing terminology. For example, you will need to eat foods based on their “metabolic fuel matrix”.
- The supplement may not be necessary. If you follow the diet plan alone then you are likely to gain weight. While the ingredients in the supplement may aid your efforts, you are not going to see huge differences to your results.
Is the Golo Diet for You?
Having looked at the pros and cons of the GOLO Diet, you may be wondering if it is worth trying yourself.
While there are benefits to this plan, there are issues, as well, that you may want to think about. Consider both the pros and cons, so you can make an informed decision.
And of course, if you ever have any questions, please feel free to SCHEDULE A FREE 15 MINUTE COACHING SESSION with me and I will do my best to point you in the right direction.
For more tips, tricks, tutorials, inspirations and education, please follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coachmichaelalogue/
WEAR A FACE COVERING.
WASH YOUR HANDS.
EMBRACE A NEW NORMAL.